The Future of Zoos and Aquariums
WAZA is the voice of a global community of high standard, conservation-based zoos and aquariums and a catalyst for their joint conservation action.
WAZA’s vision is a world where zoos and aquariums maximize their conservation impact. Zoos and aquariums are at the forefront of conservation efforts and comprise the largest global conservation network.
The professional zoo and aquarium community is at a major crossroads. Established over 250 years ago, zoos and aquariums have evolved from private collections for royalty to state-of-the art centers for education, conservation, and research. With over 700 million guests visiting our facilities a year, we have an unprecedented audience to influence and motivate to act. No other organizations at this time are better positioned to help address the challenges our planet and its wildlife face.
As we confront a crisis of unimaginable proportions, with estimates of over one million species headed for extinction over the next few decades, it is time to build a shared vision that can help us lead the fight against extinction. This is a battle that will take time, talent, and extraordinary resources. It will take collaboration and sacrifice. And it will lead to both heartbreak and success.
There is no better time than WAZA’s 75th conference to discuss the future of our profession. We will tackle some of the most challenging topics of our time that will be instrumental in our planning. We will be delving into the following:
· How do we keep zoos and aquariums relevant in the digital age?
· How do we continue to position ourselves as the experts in animal welfare as well as ensure the best animal welfare practices at our facilities?
· How do we raise the funds necessary to grow and maintain our facilities, and at the same time, fund overwhelming conservation necessities?
· How do we engage more closely with IUCN, CITES, and other global organizations in the battle to end extinction?
· How do we deal with climate change?
· How do we make our own facilities financially and environmentally sustainable?
· How do we drive conservation behavioral change in our guests?
· How do we make zoos and aquariums relevant conservation organizations?
· Where will our next generation of conservation leaders come from?
WAZA complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (GDPR), an EU law on data protection and privacy in the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA). For more information, click here.
All submissions must be made in English.
If you have any questions, please contact Stacey Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Proposals Released
31 January, 2020
Deadline for Submitting a Proposal
1 May, 2020
1 June, 2020
Presentation Abstract and Presenter Update and Confirmation Due
15 July, 2020
Oct 11, 2020
World Association of
Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA)
Phone: +34 936 638 811
Educator's Association (IZE)
2000 Bunker Rd
Sausalito, CA 94965-2619
Back to Top